We are very excited to announce that the BYO Vine Guide has been nominated as a finalist in the Winexplorer innovation competition. We will be pitching for the cash prize of $35,000 to expand the Guides and make them even more valuable and relevant to both consumers and wineries.
For consumers it means finding cellar doors you’ll love and the perfect wines to take home. For wineries, it means great customers delivered to your door who will love what you’re doing and are very likely to buy.
How will the guides work?
Three simple steps:
1. Visitors to a cellar door rate the winery based on three aspects: Experience, Wine quality and Value for money. It’s three clicks and very simple.
2. Wineries create a profile that outlines their key features, including wines, price range, food, family friendly and other relevant amenities
3. Users of the website answer simple questions to define the type of wine tour they want, and for a small fee a personalized itinerary is created, in the best order, for them to follow.
What is the rating system?
The rating system the foundation of ensuring consumers find the best cellar doors for them and helps wineries better understand what consumers are thinking. It’s like TripAdvisor for cellar doors, only more useful for consumers and more valuable for wineries.
A critical component is a clear and simple system that everyone can understand and relate to. Each element (experience, wine quality and value for money) is rated out of 5 (half marks are included), and has a simple description to achieve consistency. For example, a rating of 4.5 across each element means:
- Experience: personal service, personal stories, genuine interest in you
- Wine Quality: diverse and interesting range, experimenting (but not going off the rails), built for the cellar
- Value for Money: Very high quality wine with price points to suit every budget; got a handful of great bottles for now and a few year’s time!
As part of the development process we will consult with consumers and wineries in how to really make the rating system meaningful and easy to use.
What are the questions you will ask to create the personalised itineraries?
The questions asked consider a range of factors based on the key features of wineries and who people are visiting the region with. You can test the beta version of this now and get your own personalised itinerary of the Yarra, Hunter or Barossa Valley – check it out.
If you have any thoughts, comments or feedback on any aspect of the Guides, please do let us know by commenting below.